A Penny Saved
Can you save enough to retire well?
Can you cut back your spending a little so that you can save a little more in 2017?
What are some of the things that you can cut back on? Here are some suggestions:
- Find a cheaper source of coffee. I make my own Starbucks. I have a plastic holder for the #2 Melitta filters. I can buy my favorite coffee and make one cup at a time by pouring hot water over the grounds. I save a couple bucks a day that way.
- Like to dine out. Try the services that deliver the ingredients to make your own meal. Most of them give a discount for new customers so you can try each and find what works best for you. There are several choices:
- Blue Apron
- Hello Fresh
- Purple Carrot
- Peach Dish
- Home Chef
- Use a lot of prepared foods. You can save money and prepare more healthy meals by cooking from scratch using fresh ingredients.
- Staycation this year. I don’t know about you but there are lots of local places I haven’t yet been to or it’s been a while since I visited. Save travel money and have a more restful vacation by seeing local sights. You will also be bolstering your own community in the process. Win. Win.
- Buying a house? Check your credit score first. If it is a tad low. Get your credit report and correct any misinformation. Then work on paying down debt. Pay on time. Keep your old credit cards and don’t get any new ones. This will take time but when you do apply for a mortgage you will be eligible for a lower interest rate and that will save you thousands over the lifetime of the mortgage. Save that money for your retirement!
- Keep track of your spending. Most people are surprised at how much they spend. It will be a pain to track but you will be rewarded. Things that you can do with out add up quickly. When you see them on paper the decision will be obvious.
- Are you a collector? Are you still enjoying your collection? If not stop buying more and start selling items on eBay or Craig’s List.
Benjamin Franklin said – A penny saved is a penny earned. A penny doesn’t buy what it did in Ben’s day but the concept is still as valid. Maybe you can’t save a dollar but you can save a penny. And then another penny. And then another penny. The penny’s will add up and you will soon be saving a dollar a day.
A penny saved is a penny earned!