Do empty buildings bother you as much as they do me and my mom?
For my mom it is mostly about farm houses. When we are out driving through the countryside she is trying to figure out if a house has someone living there. She grew up during the depression and really wants to see farmers prosper because her father struggled for many years.
I hate to see empty business buildings and find myself brain storming solutions. That probably comes from working for a couple of struggling businesses.
I have lived in La Junta, Colorado for over 25 years and have seen several businesses fail.
I have heard about the past when La Junta thrived with the surrounding agriculture and the railroads. La Junta even has a huge runway at their airport from a training base in World War 2.
I would love to see La Junta thrive once more.
So this post focuses on La Junta but could be applicable where you live and care about.
La Junta’s economy is plagued with a negative cash flow. I am passionate about doing what I can to slow the flow of money out of La Junta and even bring some back!
- Shop Local Businesses
Before you drive to Pueblo, Colorado Springs or Denver; before you shop Amazon, Ebay or Wayfair; check out La Junta merchants.
You just might get a better deal! When I was shopping for window coverings I went to one of the stores in Pueblo and got a quote. Then I got a La Junta quote. The La Junta store was cheaper including installation. Win, win win.
You can find unique gifts. Here are three ideas:
- Rusty Knob Prims – Patterns, handmade prim art dolls and handmade soap. Find the Rusty Knob at 1st Street Emporium, 112 W 1st Street, La Junta or at therustyknob.com.
- 29:11 Rustic Wood Design – Unique, inspiring decorations for gifts, home and office. Find 29:11 at 401 Railroad Ave, Cheraw or 719-980-4390 or on Facebook.
- Arkansas Valley Regional Medical Center Gift Shop – Don’t limit your shopping for these affordable, unique gifts for visiting someone in the hospital. Remember the Gift Shop for birthdays and holidays. All the profits go to buy needed equipment for the hospital.
- Support local attractions and entertainment
- When family and friends visit don’t forget to take them to see the Koshare’s perform.
- Remember to go to Bent’s Fort.
- My grandsons loved the water pump at the Otero County Museum.
- Fox and Grand Theaters; see entertaining movies without driving over an hour and back; use the money saved in gas for popcorn.
- Family fun centers – they pop up and then close because of no support. They provide a valuable service that we should support.
- Buy a season ticket to the Arkansas Valley Community Concerts.
- World class performers – diverse talents that are proven to entertain.
- Great financial bargain – You could pay for one big city concert what a season ticket costs.
- Support school outreach – The concert season includes a student outreach to local area schools.
- Support local non-profits. Ask fund raisers how much of your donation will stay here in the Arkansas Valley. There are several hard working nonprofits that use their donations right here. If they help locally they are all worthy of your donation. My top three are:
- Arkansas Valley Pregnancy Center
- La Junta Associated Charities
- Arkansas Valley Hospice
- Buy from entrepreneurs working in their spare time as a representative or distributor for a network marketing company.
Network marketing companies remove the middle man. Basically, individuals share in their marketing budget.
When I moved to La Junta from Denver I took a significant cut in pay. With network marketing however, I get paid the same as individuals in Denver or any other area of the country.
I believe that network marketing is one of the best ways to divert a sizable percentage of money you spend back to La Junta if you buy locally. That is because I have customers from other parts of the state and country buying from me. They buy elsewhere but the income comes back to La Junta.
If you want to learn more about network marketing let’s visit and see if it would be a good fit. I can introduce you to my company or give you criteria for choosing the best company for you.